INSIDE OUT: REFLECTIONS ON THE PUBLIC AND THE PRIVATE
Maintaining strong links to street photography, the ultimate reflection of public life, the 2012 theme will allow the festival to expand and explore the changing boundaries between the public and the private, as both physical and metaphorical concepts, and the social consequences of these shifts. Considering the role of photography as a tool for documentation, expression and collaboration, the festival will present work responding to the theme in its broadest interpretation.
Topics will include:
- photography as a means to reflect not only the external world but also the inner self of the image maker
- the social media revolution and how it has overturned our ideas of personal privacy
- the changing boundaries of public and private land, what this means for personal freedoms and the ways in which people inhabit these opposing spaces
- the effects and ethics of putting a very private photographic image on public display
- censorship of images
- the democratisation of visual journalism and how the public have become mass purveyors of information
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions to the festival awards and prize are now closed. For information and future opportunities please see the AWARDS page.